The answer is, there is none. Despite the fact that I was off work last week, the only thing that I got done on our laundry room/bathroom combo that I’m transforming for the $100 Room Challenge (read all about how Erin from Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry started the challenge here) is cleaning out the room and removing the wire shelf. I spent as much time as I could with the boys while I was off and while they were out of school, and once they returned to school, I headed to my brother Andy’s to help him work on his new place.
But, I thought I’d talk a little about why I want to transform this room again. I had a few comments that this room already looks pretty good and a few folks on Insta even DM’d me because they thought the pic was the after and they wanted the deets on the finishes. I realized I didn’t do a good job of explaining why this room needs a change beyond just organization.
The laundry/bathroom is directly off the mudroom. When we first moved in, here’s how we decorated the mudroom:
The laundry/bathroom is directly to the right in this pic.
I just used the leftover navy paint from those stripes and painted the laundry/bathroom with it, and of course carried the aqua baseboards into that room too.
I figured out pretty quickly that there weren’t nearly enough hooks for storage in the mudroom. And, that aqua paint is chalk paint. I never thought about how chalk paint would hold up in such a busy spot, but the answer is, not well. It got so dirty, and since I didn’t wax it, it was super hard to clean. I fell out of love with that mudroom pretty quickly.
Early this fall, I re-did the mudroom, adding a lot more hooks (my ninja-move for organization) and lightening and brightening considerably!
Here’s the completed mudroom:
That means that the view from the laundry/bathroom is now this:
There’s just no flow between the laundry/bathroom and the mudroom now, and since it’s the bathroom our guests use 99% of the time, it just bugs the heck out of me that those spaces are so disjointed!
Plus, the aqua baseboards are really gross now. They’d have to be repainted regardless.
So I guess it’s partially organization, partially the lack of design flow between the spaces, partially the general dingy-ness of the space, and probably I’ve reached my two year threshold for tolerance for living with a space I was never truly in love with from the beginning 🙂
This weekend I’m going to get some serious work done in this space, and I’ll have more of an update for you guys next week-promise!
Be sure to check out the other bloggers who are tackling the $100 Room Challenge! Thanks again Erin for hosting this challenge!