Hey guys! I finally made a little progress on our combination laundry/bathroom this weekend for the $100 Room Challenge, hosted by Erin from Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry.
This week got a little bit crazy as I bounced back and forth between different projects, both in this space and also in Project Andy’s House (I’ll write an update on that next week, but it’s looking so good!)
So I started out tiling the wall with some leftover subway tile from our kitchen backsplash. I had almost an entire box of subway tile left. Because I knew that there was no way that one box would cover the whole wall, I had planned to do a stripe of the marble mosaic tile to add some interest and honestly help with the budget.
When I went to actually add the tile, I got a little worried because the colors of the tile are so different- the subway tile is more off white, and the marble tile is a pure white:
I put the dilemma on Insta, and 2/3 of you (that is, two of the three people who responded 😉 said to go for it.
So here’s how it turned out, but with many pieces missing and also (duh) not grouted:
The first picture was taken during the day with my iPhone, and the other two were taken at night with my flash. The iPhone pic gives a better representation of the color- the flash just completely wipes out the subtle color differences between the tile.
So how to deal with the color differences between the tile?
The original plan was to add the shelving at the lines between the tile- so that would be a good dividing line between the tile and would kind of minimize the differences between the off white and pure white shades. But I ran out of the mosaic tile and wasn’t able to do as thick a line as I needed to make functional shelves.
The other design elements of the room- the gray ceiling, white walls (anybody else hear Macklemore whenever you read or type “white walls”? Now I just want to go thrift shopping) will help tie it all together too.
But honestly- it’s okay. I’m not too worried about it. I guess it’s probably the mark of the really amateur designer in me, but once the tiles were up, my perspective changed a bit. I can already tell it’s going to be 1000% better than it was before. I’m not going to obsess about tiny shading differences in tiles that probably nobody else would ever notice. And if they do, as the wonderful Sarah from Thrifty Decor Chic says, they win a cookie 🙂
As far as the shelves, they are really just kind of placeholders right now- I’d say they’re about halfway done. They’re going to be a good bit beefier (you won’t see the supports) and maybe a different finish. I’ll probably wait until I finish the rest of the room to decide.
I ran out of tile. And adhesive. So that halted my progress.
Here’s the list of unfinished projects
What I’ve started that still needs to be completed:
What I still need to start:
- Paint the walls, door, ceiling, and trim
- Cut the vinyl pineapples and apply
- Add the wainscoting (may have to cut this project- not sure I have enough lumber now, and I don’t have the budget left to buy more)
Be sure to check out the other bloggers taking on the $100 Room Challenge, below, and thanks again to Erin for hosting this challenge!