Our master bedroom closet reveal!
Oh my gosh y’all, our master bedroom closet is finally done! I think I lost a few years off my life in the process, but it’s done.
I took on this project for the $100 Room Challenge, hosted by Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry. It’s $100 and one month to finish a space, and I chose my disorganized master closet that I had been meaning to finish since we moved in over 3 years ago. You can catch up here:
There are a couple of projects in the reveal that I haven’t posted about yet, but don’t worry- I’ll get to those next week.
Besides organizing this space (which really was a lot of purging) I really wanted to make it pretty. I know myself, and if a space is pretty, I am much more likely to keep it clean and organized. For me with organization, pretty is half the battle! So I added some artwork and used a lot of colors that I really love- pink, blue, and white.
And I’ll just go ahead and tell you, this is far from a perfect space. I mis-measured some things (measured once and cut once-doh!) and also changed my mind quite a bit throughout this process. I don’t advise either when you’re dealing with such a tight timeline and budget ?
Here’s a before (disaster!): (oh, and there are a few affiliate links for products in this post if you are interested)
and the after:
Eagle-eyed AL readers will notice that I changed the floorplan from my Week 3 post. Also I changed pretty much everything else.
For example, the shoe cabinet, which clearly does not have pink buffalo check fabric on the back like I originally planned :
But I changed my mind, after reading this post by Michelle at Our Crafty Mom, in which she dazzled me with her use of a super cute peel and stick wallpaper. Long story short, I’m in love with this formerly ugly duckling shoe cabinet! I used the same paint from the dresser, Schoolboy Blue from Valspar, and here’s a link for the wallpaper if you’re interested. The cabinet is here from Target- but honestly you could probably find a bookcase thrifting super cheap and use it instead
Oh, and I’m also the proud owner of a floral feature wall!
I would have loved to cover the entire wall, but I didn’t have enough wallpaper. So I just put a piece of the pink gingham fabric across the top, which I literally nailed to the wall. It’s suuuuper uneven, but since it’s temporary it doesn’t bug me too much. I’m actually going to buy some more wallpaper at some point so that whole wall is covered, so it’s fine.
And the wire shelves are covered! Not perfect (see that gap at the end?) but I love them. And I did the entire almost 50 feet for a budget of $30 (tutorial coming soon! Edit: here’s the tutorial)
I didn’t get to the lighting- just ran out of time. I ended up having to reuse the globe from the laundry room that I messed up before. It’s way too dark for this space, so I’ve got to upgrade it asap! Thinking about trying something from this lighting tutorial by The Heathered Nest.
Here’s the budget I ended up with:
- Sample pot of paint: $3.98
- Wallpaper: $40.19 (I had a gift card, so ended up paying $23.73)
- Supplies for shelving: $29.96
- Total: $74.13
Plus, we sold the other dresser for $10, so with the actual amount that I spent on the wallpaper, I spent a total of $47.57!
Next week I’ll start tutorials for the shelving, bookcase, and feature wall!
I am heading over to check out the rest of the room reveals by the other bloggers participating in this challenge, and you should to! I promise you will be inspired!